You’re on Smashwords. You bought the book. You want to read it. How do you get it from the Smashwords library to your Kindle device or app?
I have one of the answers for that. And, once you set this up, you shouldn’t have to do it again. This is just for Kindle and Kindle app users looking to purchase and deliver the .mobi file.
- You will need:
- to be logged into your Smashwords account
- to be logged into your Amazon account (PC) or access to your Amazon app (NOT Kindle or Kindle app)
- your send-to-kindle email address
- to add an “Approved Personal Document E-mail”
- paper and pen/pencil
- (if I lost you somewhere here, no worries, I have those steps here too).
I found this to be the easiest to navigate while using a PC, but it can be done from phone/tablet and the Amazon app. A little digging and some reading into the “Learn More” section in the Smashwords library, turned up this bit of info (and sadly, their directions and help had me lost), “When you purchase books, books will automatically be emailed to your address from firstname.lastname@example.org.” That is an important bit of information right there, and we will need that email address in a later step. If you are taking notes, jot that email address down.
Amazon or Amazon App
Getting to the location is a bit different on either of these, but after that all steps are the same.
- Your Content and Devices
- Amazon website: hover over your name at the top; choose “Your Content and Devices”
- Amazon app: tap the 3 lines to open the menu options; tap “Your Account”; tap “Manage content and devices”
- Along the top choose “Preferences”
- Scroll or swipe down to “Personal Document Settings”
- Scroll or swipe to the section titled “Send-to-Kindle E-mail Settings”
- Make a note of your send-to-kindle email address
- Side note, you may see several devices here. Personally I have my devices Whispersynced with each other, so I just use my Kindle Fire email. If you don’t have a fire, use the email that corresponds to the device you use for reading on the Kindle app.
- Scroll or swipe a couple more sections to “Approved Personal Document E-mail List”
- You may have a list of email addresses here, that is fine. It is also fine if you have none listed.
- Select “Add a new approved e-mail address”
- In the pop up window we are going to enter the email address I mentioned earlier from Smashwords, email@example.com.
- Select “Add Address”
- For future reference, if you win any book contests in author or reader groups you will need to provide them your send-to-kindle and add their email to the approved list.
- We are done with Amazon!
Head over to Smashwords and make sure you are logged in.
- Select your account icon in the upper right of the screen
- For most us this looks like a silhouette of a person with a brimmed hat sitting on ground reading a book. Unless of course you have filled out all of your profile and account info.
- Choose “Library” in the drop down
- You will see 3 boxes; choose “Ebook Delivery”
- Two steps here
- Choose “Change Formats” and be sure the box is checked next to .mobi; select the green box. This will return you to the “Ebook Delivery” page
- Choose “Change Address” and enter your send-to-Kindle email address here. This will not change your sign in email or your correspondence email with Smashwords. Select the green box.
For all intents and purposes, we are done. The next time you purchase a book on Smashwords, it will automatically show up in the device associated with the send-to-kindle email we used.
Wait! What if you have books and have been unable to get them to your Kindle or Kindle app?
- Go to your Smashwords Library
- Select the tab “Books You Own”
- Following the title of this area across, “Ebooks you have purchased or been given at Smashwords.”, you will see a 3 lines button. Select this toggle to the list view.
- Find the book you want to send
- Choose the green “Email” icon
- You will get a pop-up confirmation window
- Give it a few minutes and then refresh your Kindle or Kindle app.
If you have any issues, it is best to go back to the areas where we entered information and double check that it was all entered correctly.
In the name of research, I deleted all Smashwords purchased books from my Kindle content. I then went through the process listed above and sent the books to my Kindle. I’d love to know if this worked for you, or try to help if you are still having problems. Leave a comment and let me know!